This blog is a hodgepodge of things I want to share, from the good deals I find to my newfound cake decorating hobby and everything in between. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My First Great Deal!

I recently started couponing. I have been saving coupon inserts by week from the Chicago Tribune. Whenever I am ready to go to the grocery store, I search coupon database sites such as www.couponmom.com or read a local blog to find out what is on sale, and where I can find the coupons to match with the sales.

I have been saving a little bit of money, but nothing crazy. I kept reading that when something is on sale, and you have a coupon, you should stock up on it. I hadn’t come across anything great, until Monday. The blog I read informed me that Dominick’s had Goldfish crackers on sale buy 2 get 2 free. I also remembered that on my Dominick’s fresh values card I had a Just for U coupon for a free bag of Goldfish, and a special price of $1.63 whenever I bough Goldfish.

I figured, I could get 4 bags for $1.63. This is a great deal, since normally they are over $2 a bag, and I eat them almost every day for lunch. When I got to the store, I noticed an end cap with Cheddar Goldfish. The bags had a peelie for $.75 off when you buy one cheddar and one flavor goldfish. I wasn’t sure how much this would save me, but I knew it would be a really good deal if I bought 8 bags. The way I figured it:

Dominicks Receipt
8 bags at $2.39 is   $19.20
4 bags free (B2G2) -$9.56
1 bag free (J4U)     -$2.39
J4U my price          -$2.28
4 MFR coupons     -$3.00
                         =  $1.97

If you look at my receipt, there are three lines of goldfish, that add up to $2.00. I am not sure how the computer calculated it, but for some reason it came out 3 cents above what I thought it should be. I will not complain over 3 cents!

This is the first time I have been able to use my coupon “skills” to stock up on something, I am very happy with myself that I got 8 bags of goldfish for less than the cost of 1 regular priced bag! I now have enough goldfish for a few months, and hopefully they will be on sale again by then.


My Stockpile of Goldfish!


1 comment: