This blog is a hodgepodge of things I want to share, from the good deals I find to my newfound cake decorating hobby and everything in between. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Crepes

I think my new favorite food is Crepes. After eating at an amazing creperie in Seattle, I decided to try making these at home. As it turns out, a week after I got home, there was a recipe in the tribune! They can be made in two different ways, savory or sweet.

For savory crepes:
2c. milk
1c. flour
3 eggs
1/4 c. melted butter (plus a bit extra to grease the pan/griddle)
Using a mixer, blend the ingredients together until smooth. Use a 1/4 size measuring cup and pour batter into a buttered pan or griddle (my preference). Cook about 4 minutes. Add toppings. Enjoy!

Normally I only make half of the batter- which will make 4 good size crepes. This is perfect for two people to each have a savory crepe for dinner, and a sweet crepe for dessert

Disclaimer: The original instructions state that you should cook 2 minutes, flip and then cook the other side for another minute. I have learned from trial and error, that crepes are VERY hard to flip and keep in one piece. I have also learned, they are so thin, that if you leave them on for about 4 minutes they will cook all the way through and still taste the same.

I made my savory crepes with cut up chicken breast (cooked first), mozzarella cheese,and a garlic and melted butter spread. My husband added tomatoes to his. Be creative, you can add anything you want and they make a delicious dinner!

For sweet crepes:
(add the following to the savory crepe recipe)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tsp. vanilla extract

My favorite sweet crepe is Banana Nutella, SO YUMMY! Again, be creative. When we had friends over for dessert my husband and the other guy added peanut butter M&Ms to their banana crepe.

No comments:

Post a Comment