This blog is a hodgepodge of things I want to share, from the good deals I find to my newfound cake decorating hobby and everything in between. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wilton Decorating Basics: Week 1

I was really excited to start my Wilton cake decorating class. The 1st week went well, except when I first arrived, the other 11 women all had a decorating kit, along with some sugar cookies. I asked the instructor if we were supposed to bring anything, and she informed me there was a list of items to bring for the 1st class that the cashier at Michaels was supposed to give me when I signed up. Since I never received that list from the cashier, I had to purchase a few things before starting the class (pre-packaged frosting and a practice board), but I already had most of the tips and other decorating tools I needed so it wasn't so bad. My advice is that if you are going to sign up for any class at Michaels, make sure to ask if there is a list of supplies you need to bring!

The class started with the instructor showing us how to ice a cake, and how to fill the icing bags properly. She also reviewed a buttercream recipe and showed us how to adjust the thickness. We practiced making stars using Wilton tip #18, and then we got to decorate the sugar cookies we were supposed to bring. The woman next to me was nice enough to give me a few of her sugar cookies since I was unaware I was supposed to bring any, which was very nice of her.

I look forward to the 2nd week, where we actually get to decorate a cake. I have to make the cake and frosting at home and then bring it to the class. I plan to make a cake with a fish on top! I will definitely be posting pictures of that one in my next Wilton Decorating Basics blog entry!

1 comment:

  1. That was really nice of the lady to share her cookies with you!

    ReplyDelete